Monday, August 18, 2008

Our exciting week!!

Last week was quite an eventful week at our house. The most exciting was that Austin and Taylor started first grade. They had a great week and both love their teachers (they are in different classes this year).

Dave had his first monthly exam last Monday, so after everyone got home we all went to the Indiana State Fair, and oh what a fair it is. We rode rides, saw a circus show, played on a little farm, saw a lot of stinky farm animals, and or course ate yummy fair food. Dave's favorite is the big turkey leg. It is pretty yummy, but I feel a little barbaric eating it. He also decided that this was the year to try fried Pepsi. Yup, you heard right, the fry everything you can imagine. Snickers, oreos, brownies, cookie dough, peanut butter cups. For the fried Pepsi they make a batter using Pepsi instead of water, fry it, then they drizzle Pepsi syrup and powdered sugar on top. We were little disappointed, but it was still fun to try.
And last but certainly not least...Dave was at the church playing ball with a bunch of the dental guys, he pushed up to jump for a rebound and fell down instead. Wanna know what happened? He ruptured his Achilles tendon. He is in a cast for now, and has an appointment with a sports medicine Dr. on Thursday. The first Dr's he saw told him that surgery is almost inevitable. He can't put ANY weight on it and has to use crutches. This is panning out to be a hard thing to do when he is in lab trying to carry a tray. Go figure!! The thing is, I think I am taking it harder than he is. We are looking forward to Thursday to hopefully get some more definite answers.

11 comments:

Tanya Searle said...

Oh, poor Dave!! I'm glad you got to have fun at the fair before this happened.

Groff Family said...

Poor Dave! I get so upset when Aaron comes home with injuries after church basketball. He has had two sprained ankles in the last year, both requiring doctor's visits. Nothing as bad as Dave's though, I'll consider myself lucky.

And seriously, fried Pepsi??!! Wow, is all I can say!

MommyMert said...

Dave, Dave, Dave... :(

The rest of the stuff--WoohOO!! Fried Pepsi--I may pass.

Lindy said...

What a bummer! I'm glad you all go to go to the fair before the "incident". Good luck on Thursday!

Pamela said...

Yikes, I did't know you could rupture your tendon. I hope the news is good!

Janese said...

Nicole!!
I was so excited to hear from you! How are things? I can't believe how big your boys are! How cute! We're doing great. Sorry about Dave!! Not fun! Hope things go good for him! Talk to ya later.

Naomi said...

Oh no! I always held my breath when Peter went to play basketball. I'm sure you guys will get through this :) Hang in there.
Your boys look so darling on their first day of school! So fun!
Naomi

jamirodana said...

Oh my gosh Dave! It hurts just to hear the story.
What is it with church ball?!! Seriously.

I'm excited for the Utah State Fair which starts in a couple of weeks.
Hooray for kids in school!

Craig and Janalyn said...

What great pictures at the fair! How fun! I have yet to try fair food... maybe this year if I can get Craig to take us to the Oregon fair. That is so crappy about Dave! I hope it heals up good... I bet it was so painful!

Cecily R said...

Holy COW Nicole! My mom asked me to stop by your blog to see what was up with Dave and his Achilles...that really REALLY ROTS!!

I wish we were closer so I could help somehow...even if it were only taking the kids to McDonalds while you went to the doctor with him!

Good luck with everything in the coming weeks and keep us posted!

Tricia said...

Wishing Dave a speedy recovery! You know Jeremy's greatest concern over the whole thing - that Dave may not be up to going to the Colt's game on Thursday! Well, I'm sure it's not his greatest concern, but it did cross his mind.