Thursday, March 20, 2008

What's That Smell?

In a nutshell yesterday was a bad day. We woke up to rain and wind and cold....again. Caden and I after putting the boys on the bus headed to the outlets to return a couple things and see if a dress I had my eye on might just work for Easter. When we got there it was so windy and raining so hard we ran into the store and were still soaked! The dress that I thought was going to be so cute, turned out to make me look 8 months pregnant, and I am not, so that isn't a good thing!! That really shouldn't have bothered me, but it was my second choice outfit for Easter, I could not find a skirt that would match this wonderful shirt I wanted so badly, so I moved on, with no luck. I had to stop at Target on the way home and had a very cute but very whinny 3 year old barking orders and demands at me. I hurried and grabbed what I could and promptly took him home, later realizing that I had forgotten all the things I really needed and only bought things I didn't really need. The boys came home from school and their day was pretty good, actually Taylor got a Star Student award for doing all his work so good, and for setting a good example for others. Yes, I said Taylor, I don't know what happened but he is doing so much better at school, and I am grateful. After snack the boys went upstairs to play, fine whatever, they do it every day. Then, I am on the phone with Dave and screaming Caden comes downstairs because Austin has hit him, then I hear screaming Austin because Caden had hit him. At this point my hands are up in the air, and I am about ready to give up my day. After calming everyone down I decide it is time to cook dinner (it is still pouring rain by the way) so I take the boys upstairs to watch a show so I can make dinner in peace. Well, remember the title of this post? I could not find it, I could not find the burning smell, where was it coming from? This clearly wasn't OK. Oh there is is up in the torchiet, a burning monkey. Yup you heard me right, a burning monkey. Apparently Taylor had thrown said monkey up in the air and it landed on top of the torchiet. It was on fire...I kid you not...flames!! I grabbed the one leg that was hanging over the edge of the lamp and ran to the bathroom to drown the monkey in the sink. Everyone and everything is fine, a little stinky, but fine and safe. It scares me to think if we hadn't gone up stairs what might have happened, but it didn't. After a very emotional talk with the boys and this and that I got tears in my eyes for the monkey, you see this monkey was made by Grandma Kerrie for Grandpa Rod probably 30 years ago. Austin and Taylor got monkeys made for them before Caden was born, so when Caden was old enough to realize he didn't have a monkey Grandpa gave him his. Caden was VERY sad at the sight of his bedtime friend, he looked at the black face and went into the other room and sulked on the couch for quite a while. I wish I would have thought to take a picture, it was really very sweet, but my mind was elsewhere. I did take a couple pictures today, Caden wouldn't hold the monkey because he says "it's to scary now." Understandable I guess.
On a brighter note...the sun was out today, the wind was minimal, and we had a great day!!

14 comments:

MommyMert said...

AGHHH!!! So completely scary! We had a neighbors house burn down in a very similar experience. Glad you are ok... maybe my goosebumps will go away now. Sorry about the monkey though. :(

Meghan said...

Ya, Caden's right. That monkey is a little scary now. We had that happen the first year we were here except it was a rubber snake! Glad you found it when you did!

Liz said...

Man, what a long day.

Everything makes me look 8 months pregnant.

Tricia said...

Hey! How do you guys know the Hoffmans? I was looking at their blog tonight and found yours!

Hope you've had a great Easter Sunday.

Erekson's said...

Wow, seems like you had your hands full! Good thing you went upstairs! Too bad for the monkey and for poor Caden. Hope all is well in your house now.

Naomi said...

What a day! One of those days where you just look up and say "Come on?!" - You are so sweet though and it is fun to read about your adventures with your cute boys. :)

ShOrt StoRy said...

I am bummed about the monkey, so sad, especially when it's been in the family so long. Good timing to go upstairs when you did!

Jill said...

Oh my...how scary! I know that smell is horrible too. I almost burnt our house down melting eyebrow was when I was in high school...Yikes!

Craig and Janalyn said...

Oh my goodness! I am so glad you are ok!! We had a similar situation, but I saw what happened before it caught flames. how sad about the monkey. I hope you have a better day!

Sarah Martin said...

I'll try and keep my blog a little more updated now that I know YOU read it. Anyway it was great to talk to Dave the other day and I can't wait to see you guys this summer.

Cecily R said...

Oh! Sad monkey!!

I'm glad it was only the monkey though. Good thing you caught it when you did!!

Tanya Searle said...

What a day!!! I feel the same about the rain. We are getting it here in Bloomington too. Hopefully Spring will decide it is time to come soon.

Tanya

Lindy said...

I'm glad the monkey was the only one to suffer...sounds like quite a day!

EBD said...

Oh my! I am so glad you found it before something else happened. I love hearing days that sound similar to mine - I totally relate. Life with kids is crazy, but tons of fun :)